Monday, August 11, 2008

We Are Addicted!!!

We are the Ostrom Family and we are addicted to the Olympics. The excitement leading up to 08-08-08 in our house was great. I think we are all sleep deprived due to our addiction. It used to just be me who was so into the Olympics but Josh caught the bug and our kids as well. Maybe it's because when I was younger and a competitive swimmer of course the Olympics was the ultimate. Maybe it's because I can relate when I see someone miss a medal because of less than a hundredth of a second. I can remember being 9 years old and missing qualifying for State by .02. I remember I swam that event 8 times in the final week of qualifying and also remember having to miss two days of school following because of sheer exhaustion. It was devastating and was my first time of great disappointment in the sport. I wish I could say that was the last but there were many along with great accomplishments in the following years. Those years taught me great discipline and perseverance. I also attribute my high pain tolerance to swimming with bad shoulders for so many years. Something that comes in handy during childbirth.:)

Liah can't watch the gymnastics without trying to mimic everything she sees on the TV. I can already see that drive in her eyes. Whether it's a sport, music, art, or whatever they choose I hope all of my children can find that one thing that they can enjoy as much as I enjoyed my time in swimming. Earlier today I overheard Liah talking to Daddy and she was telling him that all the athletes' mommies had signed them up for the Olympics and when she gets older she wants to sign up too. If only it were that easy my love. I

No comments:

Post a Comment