Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Let us not eat the bread of idleness

I was remembering a prayer I had posted quite a while ago and dug around and found it. This is something that I want to read everyday to keep my focus on what's eternal.

"O God, when I have food, help me to remember the hungry; When I have work, help me to remember the jobless; When I have a home, help me to remember those who have no home at all; When I am without pain, help me to remember those who suffer, And remembering, help me to destroy my complacency; bestir my compassion, and be concerned enough to help; By word and deed, those who cry out for what we take for granted. Amen."

I feel like I take things for granted so many days as do most of us American Christians. I've never felt real hunger pains, I've never not known where I'm going to sleep. I think the most important thing though is I've never had to fear speaking that I follow Jesus. So many people in this world can't say the same things but most all the follower's of Christ I know can. This is something we should thank God for everyday and at the same time it should stir within us a desire to help others who can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment